On January 28, 2021, OCTIA kicked off the year with a battery supply chain roundtable. Questions regarding the development of a supply chain that leverages the many advantages our province offers have been looming for a while. With over $5 billion announced to be invested in EV manufacturing in our province, and Ontario a Canadian cleantech leader, this question is more pressing than ever.
OCTIA brought together key political and industry stakeholders across the supply chain, including Ontario’s Minister of Economic Development Job Creation and Trade, the Hon. Vic Fedeli, to answer some of the following questions:
- Is it cost-effective to manufacture batteries in Ontario?
- Does it make sense to source, refine, and process minerals in Ontario?
- What are some of the roadblocks and what else needed to leverage the potential?
- The recycling and upcycling of batteries and cells?
- Funding hurdles to actually meet demand.
The responses were comprehensive. Stay tuned for the roundtable report.